“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
- Whenever life becomes too much, I find comfort in looking at images from space.
- I don't know how I feel about this. I mean, it's cool, I guess?
- To which all the women say, "in other news, water is wet."
- I kind of want to go to this.
- Adding this to the list of things I need to make.
- Singing the praises of the stage managers.
- If you’re in Wards 3 and 4 in November....
"I join my family on Emerald Isle for Thanksgiving and have a great screaming fight with my Republican father, who yells at one point, “Donald Trump is not an asshole!” I find this funny but at the same time surprising. Regardless of whether or not you voted for him, I thought the president-elect’s identity as a despicable human being was something we could all agree on. I mean, he pretty much ran on it."
-- David Sedaris in the Paris Review, "A Number of Reasons I've Been Depressed Lately"
My latest Dry Martini column is live over on the Mother Runner site! It's about the Vermont City Marathon and my nemesis Voldesun.
- "... each resident 433 pills."
- Vacuuming the whale.
- Another use for your theater degree.
- Every runner needs a herd.
- It's the cake. (And I'm totally getting this book.)
- Knitters are up to more than you may think. (Related.)
- Milk a goat.
- What veternarians know about humans.
- It really is the greatest city in the world.
- Not reeling.
"So, if you’ve been following the crazy bullshit that is my body trying to kill me you already know that I’m on a ton of new meds to fix a ton of broken shit, but the newest update is that my doctor called with more blood results and was like, “Girl, you’ve got ALL the anemias. Pernicious was just the beginning. Stop hogging the anemias” and I was like, “I don’t even know what that means” and basically it means that I’m missing a lot of blood for no reason, which sort of makes sense because I lose shit all the time, but it seems like if it was misplacing blood I’d remember, or at least Victor would yell at me for leaving all my blood around like he does about the trail of half-filled glasses of water that I leave in my wake. “Missing blood” seems a little disconcerting, like when you’re missing time, except usually that’s because of alien abductions so at least you have a reasonable explanation."
-- I love the Bloggess just in general but this post is comedy gold.